You are what you consume, and so is your skin. The cosmetics you consume have a huge impact on your skin, general health, and overall personality.
Skincare is an integral part of women’s daily life. A proper skincare routine keeps their skin healthy and glowing. Makeup is an important aspect of women’s skincare routine. It adorns their looks, features, and beauty. It also significantly increases their self-esteem and confidence to present themselves.
According to Forbes, the global cosmetics industry is worth more than $500 billion and will be worth more than $800 billion by 2023. Other statistics from the New York Post show that an average American woman spends more than $3000 per year on beauty and cosmetic products. From shampoo to face wash and mascara to eyeliner, an average woman uses at least 16 cosmetic products every day.
With the huge consumption of cosmetics all over the world, it is necessary to make sure that the beauty products you consume are all-natural and organic. Using synthetic non-organic products might cause more harm than benefits. Read on to know the harms of non-organic cosmetics, the benefits of organic cosmetics, tips to choose your organic beauty products, and our recommendations for some of the best organic beauty brands.
Organic Vs Non-Organic Cosmetics
The real difference between organic vs. non-organic cosmetics is their ingredients. Non-organic cosmetics are made using chemical formulations to attain the required properties in a product. It might meet your requirements, but it also harms your skin health. On the other hand, organic cosmetics are made using plant-derived ingredients farmed and nurtured using sustainable practices. Along with enhancing your looks and features, organic cosmetics not only avoid the harms of synthetic products but also improve your skin health.
7 Reasons You Should Avoid Non-Organic Cosmetics
There are a number of synthetic components in makeup and other cosmetic products that might take a toll on your health. For example, silicone, chlorine, phosphate, heavy metals, chromates, synthetic colors, synthetic fragrances, synthetic preservatives, phthalates, and parabens are only a few to name. These and other synthetic chemicals;
- Might cause allergy to your skin. Paraben compounds used as preservatives are strongly associated with skin irritation, rosacea, rashes, and skin allergies. Similarly, chlorine, petroleum jelly, DTE, SLS, phenols, and synthetic colors and fragrances all have a potential risk of skin allergies. A 2018 study found that fragrances in scented makeup are the most common cause of skin irritation and contact dermatitis in women.
- Might disrupt your hormone functions. Parabens and phthalates mimic the structure of hormones in your body. A 2016 study has shown that parabens can disrupt your normal hormonal function, i.e., thyroid and reproductive hormones during the pregnancy, even when present in very small amounts in your body. Another study showed the similar effects of phthalates on your hormones.
- Might affect your future generations. Studies have shown that the children of women who excessively use scented shampoos, underarms, and other cosmetic products have disturbed behaviors in their younger years.
- Fragrances might trigger headaches and migraines. A 2014 study has shown that fragrances used in scented makeup might trigger headaches in migraine patients.
- Premature Aging. The synthetic ingredients in non-organic products might make you look better, but in the long run, they accelerate the aging of your skin making you look older than your real age.
- Might cause cancer. Research has shown parabens, phthalates, and especially aluminum in deodorants are strongly associated with breast cancer, liver cancer, and skin cancers.
- Adversely impact your planet. Not only it harms you but also your mother nature. These synthetic components are artificially produced in factories. And they leave their harmful by-products behind them. It might pollute and contribute to the demolition of your destination.
Organic makeups and cosmetics not only are free of the harmful effects of synthetic products, but also provide some additional health benefits for your skin, general health, and mother nature.
1. Soothe and Repair Your Skin
The all-natural ingredients and handcraft of organic beauty products significantly boost your skin health. Organic makeup not only enhances your looks but also soothes and repairs your skin. Firstly, they are free of harmful chemicals. So it doesn’t cause skin irritation, allergies, and other skin problems. Rather, research shows that organic makeup contains components like avocado oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter which possess significant anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties to help repair your skin.
Not only organic cosmetics are free of harmful synthetic components, but they also contain valuable nutritional components like aloe vera, sunflower, cucumber, jojoba, avocado, and grapefruit extracts. They feed your skin with nutrients it needs to flourish and grow to its maximum. Moreover, the natural oils and natural plant-derived fragrances in organic makeups have antioxidant properties that help your skin fight the toxins and repair itself.
The fragrance, color dyes, and preservatives in regular synthetic cosmetics cause more harm than benefit to your skin. Synthetic cosmetics are among the most common causes of skin irritation, inflammation, and skin allergies in women. As organic makeups are free of any such components, there is no chance of skin reactions with their use. Organic cosmetics contain natural plant-extracted fragrances and color dyes, so they get absorbed in your skin and provide nutritional value instead of skin reactions and allergies. Women with skin problems like eczema should also use organic products. Otherwise, regular cosmetics might trigger the frequency and severity of the flare-ups of their disease.
The organic makeup and other cosmetics are rich in minerals like iron, zinc, and titanium. These minerals provide your skin with natural sun protection, prevent premature aging, and significantly lessen the risk of skin cancers due to sun damage. More specifically, zinc protects against UVA and UVB rays, while titanium oxide shields against UVA rays.
The harmful chemicals in synthetic cosmetics cause damage to your skin. They also wane your skin’s ability to repair the damages and replenish itself. There is no such ingredient in organic makeup. Moreover, organic makeups contain vitamin c which promotes skin repair. Organic makeups also shield against UV-rays from the sun. All these effects prevent premature aging caused by non-organic cosmetics.
The toxic ingredients in regular cosmetics have drastic side effects on your skin as well as your general health. From skin irritation to premature aging and headaches to cancers, the toxic components in non-organic products can cause a number of health problems. Organic beauty products are free of any toxic components. So there are no side effects associated with the use of organic beauty products. Rather, organic products are handcrafted using all-natural and plant-derived components to ensure that you look younger and healthier.
The ingredients of organic cosmetics are naturally farmed and cultivated using durable practices. As there are no harmful chemicals and toxic ingredients in organic cosmetics, there is no toxic waste venting down your drain and seeping back into the earth. Choosing natural and organic cosmetics, not only do you benefit your skin and general health, but also protect your environment and nature.
It can be difficult to choose natural makeup from an overwhelming number of products available in the market. Here are some tips to follow when buying a natural and organic cosmetic product for your beautiful skin.
- Always read the labels.
- Make sure it is 100% free of synthetic chemicals like parabens, phthalates, chlorine, and others.
- Opt for fragrance-free products. Also, don’t buy ”unscented” products. These may use one chemical fragrance to cover the other fragrance.
- Read the ingredients. If it includes anything you are sensitive to, don’t buy it.
- Look for a bunny logo on the product. It is a sign that you bought a cruelty-free product.
- Lastly and most importantly, buy products only with USDA-Certified seal on the label. It authenticates the 100% organic claim of a certified brand.
Some Shortcomings of Organic Cosmetics
That being said, you must note that with so many benefits of organic beauty products, some minor disadvantages also come with these products. But, when analyzed, the benefits of organic products surely outweigh their shortcomings. But to get an idea, you must know that:
- As they do not contain synthetic preservatives, organic products might not have a long shelf life.
- As they use natural pigments, it might be less vibrant as compared to non-organic products.
- You might not get as wide a range of color shades as you get in synthetic cosmetics.
- As they are naturally farmed and grown, the organic ingredients of clean beauty products might make it costly and expensive.
With clean beauty on an increasing trend, more and more cosmetic brands are heeding more attention to organic products. We have found some of the best organic cosmetic brands, so you can buy any of their products with surety that it will do no harm but benefit your skin. These include:
Skincare and makeup is an essential and major part of a woman’s life. It is important that you use natural and organic cosmetics to keep your skin healthy and glowing. Happy natural beauty!